Friday, January 27, 2012

Vintage Lingerie.....A Collector's Passion




Well folks it's almost time for V-day. A day either loved or dreaded. In honor of this day and the romance it inspires I thought we'd discuss something that couldn't be considered anything other than romantic. It inspires Passion....both in the collector and the male viewer. What is this passion inspiring collectible? That's right! Vintage Lingerie.

Lingerie in general is either practical and sturdy or meant to be visually appealing. To those of you unfamiliar with vintage lingerie you may wonder what could be so special about old undies? Well,......here's my opinion, vintage lingerie especially that of the mid 20th C. is the ultimate in frilly and feminine attire. It can be slept in, worn during the day or at night. I personally own, collect and wear vintage lingerie. Vintage camisoles are a staple in my everyday wardrobe. (Yes, MOM I know you don't think your undies should be seen in public). Worn under a cardigan or other sweater with just a bit of the lace peeping out makes me feel special and girly. Plus, my peeping cami still shows a LOT less skin then some of the current fashions. Vintage slips worn under a dress or business suit remind me not to take the day too seriously, to remember that I am both capable of taking on the business world while being unashamedly female. And nothing feels better after a long day then climbing into a pair of vintage satin pajamas. They are comfortable like sweats but have none of the blocky masculine looks.I have a favorite pair that once belonged to a great aunt. They are a pale peach satin with lace covered slits up the side, a slit down the center front that ties with an itty bitty satin ribbon, closing the top but leaving little to the imagination. Another favorite of mine are peignoirs and baby doll outfits of the 1950's and 60's. I love the flowing chiffon, the ribbons, lace and flowers. These may not be sexy in the modern sense of the word but I think there is something to be said about the sexiness of something so purely feminine. Sometimes in the busy, fast paced world we live in, where women are trying to be both bread winner and bread baker, its helpful to take a step back in time and reconnect with our inner woman, the woman who is strong enough to appreciate her femininity.

I have personally been a collector and wearer of vintage lingerie for all of my adult life. I like the fabrics and how they feel on my skin. I love the dainty details, the tiny bow here, the little embroidered flower there and the lace everywhere. I love that it is becoming more and more admired and collected every day. Check out your local antique store, ebay and other online venues. The good stuff is is getting harder and harder to find and the prices keep going up. Undies are not something we consider as collectible and as such much of it has been tossed in the garbage pile. The fact that so many people have failed to take notice of the beauty of vintage lingerie only adds to its value. It is rare to find a perfect peignoir, or slinky slip in mint condition. These pieces command high prices both for their beauty and scarcity.

So here's to you vintage lingerie and the ladies who wear you and the men who appreciate that you do. And for goodness sakes......Don't bid against me! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment