Tuesday, January 31, 2012

When one thinks of great art there are certain places in the world that instantly come to mind: Paris, New York, Rome. Well, it’s time to add another locale to the list. Hominy, Oklahoma. I spent some time visiting Oklahoma and was pleased to discover some magnificent art in the most unlikely of locations. Hominy, Oklahoma is much like any other small town these days, signs of businesses having closed down, cracked sidewalks, a somewhat abandoned appearance and a heaviness in the air, although the heaviness could have been the oppressive heat. My grandmother suggested we go for a drive to see the “Indians on the Hill”. She wanted me to take a picture and was certain it would be something I would be impressed with since I “like art stuff”. I must admit that I was not enthusiastic about the trip. I live in Bodega Bay, its 40 degrees cooler then the coolest day I experienced in Oklahoma and I have easy access to art here in the California coastal region. To be honest, I was feeling a bit peevish and my snobby side was showing, if not visibly at least mentally.

We drove into Hominy, Oklahoma and all around Hominy attempting to find just the right spot to photograph the “Indians on the Hill”. The hillside vegetation has grown considerably since my grandmother’s last visit and the sculpture while interesting was not easily photographed. I was hot, tired of jumping in and out of the truck to take pictures and as I mentioned earlier peevish. The battery in my camera was low, the media card was nearly full and I still did not have a satisfactory photograph of the darn Indians. In frustration, I suggested buying a post card and calling it a day. It was this mis-adventure in tourist photography that led to one of my greatest discoveries on the trip. We found City Hall and I hopped out of the truck yet again….Here I met a charming lady who wanted to know where I was from. Everywhere I stopped I was asked the same question so apparently, there is something distinctly not Oklahoman about me. After the niceties, I asked if they had any postcards for sale of the “Indians on the Hill”. This helpful woman informed me that if I just drove around the corner and down Main Street about a block or two I could find the artist’s gallery. My expectations were low, and did I mention I was hot, tired and cranky? Well, all of that changed after walking into Cha Tullis Gallery.(108 W. Main Street Hominy, OK).

The Gallery was magnificent first and foremost because it was air conditioned. The cool air and bell over the door were the first things that greeted us upon our entrance into this haven of Western Art. Almost instantly this cute little woman with a Southern accent came out and welcomed us and began turning on lights. As each light went on we wandered further into the gallery and were greeted by more and more surprises. Original oil paintings so breathtakingly realistic one was pulled into the eyes of the subject whether it be a beautiful horse or a Proud Indian Brave. Sculptures shared space with prints, paintings, Native American tomahawks and jewelry. My crankiness and snobbery began to transition into awe and wonder. Who was this magnificent artist?

He was and is Cha Tullis. Mr. Tullis knows his subjects well as he himself is Cherokee and Blackfoot Indian. He was not born in Hominy, but calls it home. Starting out as a silversmith Mr. Tullis eventually, bought the business where he was employed. He and his wife Teena, who happened to be the cute Southern accented woman we met, ran the gallery as a jewelry store until the oil bust of 1986. When the bust occurred Teena informed us that rather than buy more inventory the family used the money from their sales for basic necessities. This caused gaps in the stock and Cha began selling his artwork. The work speaks for itself and the Tullis eventually changed from a jewelry store to a Native American Gallery. This gallery and Mr. Tullis work is definitely worth the stop. And, I must say that while Hominy, Oklahoma is not Paris, Rome or New York it has something none of those cities can compete with, it has Cha Tullis.
To view Mr. Tullis work visit visit www.chatullis.com or http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cha-Tullis-Gallery/149540509178

By the way, they sell postcards too....but I guarantee it won't be all you buy. -Amanda
New Territory but Cha Tullis, Hominy Ok.
Murals throughout town by Mr. Tullis.

No comments:

Post a Comment